Pelanconi Fremont Park
Homes For Sale, Open Houses, Sales Comps & Market Report
The Pelanconi and Fremont Park neighborhoods of Glendale offer homeowners a pleasant neighborhood without the high density or automobile traffic of their Glendale neighborhoods to their east. These two neighborhoods were subdivided with relatively wide streets and the homes are mostly well constructed Spanish and traditional style homes built prior to 1940 with comparatively nice-sized front yards and functional floor plans.
The Pelanconi neighborhood was originally named after Antonio and Isabel Pelanconi, who for many years operated a vineyard here. After Antonio’s passing (Isabel would remarry to Giacoma Tononi) his son Lorenzo continued to run the vineyard.
After Isabel’s passing in 1917, the estate was divided and during the next ten years the development of the Pelanconi neighborhood would continue. In 1926 the City of Glendale started development of the triangular shaped Pelanconi Park, which still exists today and is a small but prominent park and baseball field in the City of Glendale.
Fremont Park, unlike its neighbor Pelanconi, was not named after a Glendale resident but rather the American West explorer, politician and soldier John C. Fremont (1813-1890) who in Glendale’s Verdugo Canyon negotiated the terms for surrender and end to the Mexican American War (ref. Wikipedia: later signed Jan. 13th, 1847, as “Articles of Capitulation” in present day North Hollywood, California).
The Fremont Park neighborhood is home to the beautiful City of Glendale Park that shares its name. Residents enjoy easy transportation access and the park itself, which provides eight tennis courts, basketball and volleyball courts, grassy picnic areas and close access to downtown Glendale.