The Verdugo Woodlands neighborhood is located at the eastern base of the Verdugo Mountains and is anchored on the south by one of Glendale’s most gorgeous parks, Verdugo Park. The park is one of Glendale’s larger parks and like much of the neighborhood itself, hosts an abundance of beautiful mature Oak and Sycamore trees. The neighborhood’s northern boundaries are the Oakmont Country Club and the Montecito Park neighborhood, and the eastern boundary is the Glendale (2) Freeway.
This is a large neighborhood with a diversity of home styles and tracts developed over the years. Two major Glendale thoroughfares, Cañada Boulevard and North Verdugo Road run through and create a division of the area. Immediately north of Verdugo Park is the Niodrara Drive Historic Neighborhood. This neighborhood was originally subdivided in 1909 as the Verdugo Canyon Tract from land allocated to Teodoro and Catalina Verdugo in the Great Partition of 1871 (one of the most famous land trials in Southern California).
Glendale history abounds in this neighborhood. It was in this neighborhood in 1847 that the Treaty of Cahuenga was negotiated between Mexican General Andres Pico and envoys of American Lieutenant-Colonel John C. Fremont. A negotiation for cessation of hostilities in California between Mexico and the United States would take place under an oak tree at the Catalina Verdugo Adobe. The actual treaty was signed two days later at Campo De Cahuenga, which is a historical landmark in today’s Studio City. The cessation of fighting that was negotiated in the neighborhood ended the war in California and would precede the formal ending to the Mexican American War (1846-1848) and the signing of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848. Many consider the birthplace of California to have begun at the Catalina Verdugo Adobe in present day Glendale.