Greg Colley Art Services and California Art Company, LLC can provide an art advisory estimate of value for your early California painting, postwar abstract expressionist or mid-century modern painting for a nominal fee. We provide estimates for paintings by artists within our focus specialty: California Impressionism and Plein Air paintings, San Francisco Bay Area Abstract Expressionism, Bay Area Figurative, Postwar, Mid-Century, or Modern Art.
Estimates will be presented in a narrative report provided to the customer in an Adobe PDF file via email and will include the following:
- The effective date of the estimate report.
- Greg Colley art advisory and California Art Company, LLC contact information.
- A description of the painting including but not limited to:
- The artist’s name, birth and death date, and most recognized states the artist lived and worked.
- A general description of the painting.
- Our condition assessment, if examined in person, or limited assessment if examined by photographs only.
- The provenance of the painting as provided by the customer.
- Photographs of the subject painting, including the front, back, and one closeup.
- Images with descriptions and information of comparable paintings sold at public auction.
- Our estimate of value.
- Greg Colley and California Art Company, LLC qualifications to estimate the type of property being evaluated.
- A statement that this is an estimate only and not an appraisal.
- A statement that a comparable sales approach was used to determine the estimate.
- The fee collected by California Art Company, LLC for the estimate.
- A statement that the fee charged to the customer has no relationship to the value estimate.
- Greg Colley’s signature and effective date presented.
Before we offer to provide an estimate of value, we will consult with you at no charge and examine photos of your painting to determine if we can provide an accurate estimate. After our initial consultation and seeing your painting in person or quality images of your painting, we can give you a quote for the value estimate.
To Consult Regarding Your Painting’s Estimate, We Need the Following:
- Purpose of The Estimate.
- Painting Photographs. 1MB file size or larger photographs of the following:
- Entire front of the painting, including the frame.
- Entire back of the painting, including the frame.
- Closeup of the signature and area surrounding the signature.
- One or two more closeups of the front of the painting.
- Closeup photos of any significant back labels, damage, marks, etc.
- Photo with a tape measure next to the painting showing the height of the painting.
- Photo with a tape measure next to the painting showing the width of the painting.
- Painting Provenance. How was the painting acquired, where it was acquired, and approximately the date it was acquired?
- Any Additional Pertinent Information. All the information you know about the painting, the painting’s condition, and any other details you can provide.
To request an estimate of value, please email email@example.com and provide the above information.
Estimates Are Not Considered “Qualified Appraisals”
Greg Colley and California Art Company estimates of value are for the customer’s use only. Our estimates are for individuals who are curious about the importance or value of their paintings or wish to sell their paintings.
Our estimates are a fraction of the cost of a full narrative “Qualified Appraisal” by a designated certified and credentialed full-time appraiser and “specialist” in the kind and price range of art being appraised.
If you require a full narrative qualified appraisal by a designated certified and credentialed full-time appraiser and specialist who specializes in the kind and price range of the art being appraised to meet any of the requirements of:
The Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP)
IRS Regulation 1.170A-17
IRS Forms 8282, 8283
IRS Publication 561
IRS Art Advisory Panel
Insurance Examination, Claim Investigation, Denial Challenge, and Litigation
Please contact us, and we can provide you with a list of specialists working full-time as designated credentialed appraisers who meet the requirements listed above.